Fasting (Ramadan) Benefits “Medical Perspective”
During Ramadan a Muslim Holy Month every year brings overhauling of the physical and mantel health systems.
1) This is month of training to have good habit of generously giving; taking care of people around us and more giving is more taking. As research has shown that giving away gives sense of well being “ In one study mentioned Charity, as giving a feeling of high to a person who do charity”
Medical Health benefits an added benefits to spiritual gains
2) Fasting produce more endorphin which gives us good feeling.
3) Fasting cause help burn the cholesterol and have positive effect on physical health.
4) Spending more time in prayer, (burning extra Calories and shedding extra pounds) self reflection and helps us keep focused on the greater good.
5) Spending time in night prayers is good physical (Isotonic and isometric exercise which involves almost every muscle of the body) exercise in addition to peace and tranquility brought about by the prayer. (Meditation).
6) Sujood ( prostration, helps maintain healthy blood flow to brain, facial muscles, eyes, ears etc, and drains out the secretions from sinuses and lungs),
7) Hunger during fasting gives feeling of rejuvenation and extends life expectancy.(A slower metabolic rate, more efficient protein production, improved immune system, and the increased production of beneficial hormones contributes to the long-term benefits of fasting)
8) Early AM eating (Suhoor has added benefit of, lowering lipid level, give rest to the digestive system during fasting and helps weight management)
9) During Fasting energy is diverted from the digestive system toward metabolic process which helps in healing and improving immune system.
10) Detoxification process is enhanced during the fasting. In the Liver, Kidney, Colon, Lungs, Lymph glands and Skin the detoxification process is actively precipitated during this time.
11) During fasting process of autolysis help breakdown body’s own fat to use own energy resources in the absence of incoming food nutrients.
12) Physiologic effect of fasting includes lowering the blood sugar, lowering the cholesterol and lowering the blood pressure.
13) Slight dehydration leads to water conservation has shown improving longevity of life in plants.
In 1994 the first International Congress on “Health and Ramadan” held in Casablanca, entered 50 extensive studies on the medical ethics of fasting. While improvement in many medical conditions was noted; however, in no way did fasting worsen any patients’ health or their baseline medical condition. On the other hand, patients who are suffering from severe diseases, whether type I diabetes or coronary artery disease, kidney stones, etc., are exempt from fasting and should not be allowed to fast as such.
Psychological and mental health benefits.
A) Fasting helps attain mental and emotional well being.
B) Taking time to contemplate the life events and try to streamline in good way.
C) Spending more time with family and loved ones (due to short work day) when ordinarily it may not be possible otherwise.
D) Refraining from useless harmful leisure activities.
E) Fasting result in many mental health benefits, helping us learn patience and trains us to be more understanding and empathic toward others.
F) Upbeat sense of giving away, love and affections throughout the month which ends with EID is a bonus factors in terms of bringing social sects together and breed loving and caring society.
G) Zakat (compulsory Tex on savings to give to the poor member of the society) is organized way of doing Charity, is more likely given during this month further enhance the value of friendship and caring among the members of the society.
H) Help maintain equilibrium and healthy economic balance.
I) Days spent in fasting and night in prayer helps us keep focused and learn the skill of patience and being tolerant.
J) In present day life usually we tend to over eat normally, socially or as in business gatherings, during this month it gives us break and helps us refrain from putting extra pounds hence improve feeling of wellbeing and self esteem.
K) Usually in present day life we rush for everything and try to do many things in given time and keep our self at the edge which can have negative effect on our body and mind. Like excessive hurry can lead to keep our body in always emergency mode and in this mode body produces excessive Corticosteroids to provide extra energy/benefit to deal with emergency situation, If this become chronic and protracted state, it can lead to many negative effect on body like increased sugar levels in blood, increased blood pressure, and on mind excessive stressful, overwhelming feeling and can even lead to anxiety feelings, etc if prolonged.
L) Ramadan gives us break from this kind of routine stress by many different ways.
M) Each year adds on the skills of above training, it can become part of our nature and can help us function one step higher year after year.
N) During this month generally people avoid indulging in even minor sinful activities, which has positive effect on our conscience and self confidence.
O) Truth of belief, Patience, Honesty, and helping others is the goal during this time.
P) It helps attain “Desire, strength and will power”
However things needs to be aware of
1#Healthy eating and keeping balanced diet as well as trying to avoid overeating while breaking the fast is important as well.
(General concept of eating less than full stomach is the key to healthy eating)
2# Drinking water before eating has an enormous value.
3# Avoid excessive dehydration especially in hot weather. Like covering head, staying indoor as much as possible.
4# Exposure to heat leads to excessive loss of water and electrolyte contents in the body by perspiration, sweating and through breathing.
5# which can also takes away salts from the body which can be substituted at breaking the fast with balanced electrolyte drinks. (Like optimum amount, salt lemon drink, diluted milk with salt drink, LABAN, etc)
This is just a brief summary of benefits of fasting (Ramadan), actual benefits are monumental beyond comprehension, some of which have proven by science others still needs to be known.
No related posts.